Wednesday, April 7, 2010

First Post



Greetings from a little island across the pond.
I am now on day five on a 12 day trip in England. The trip in went very well, landed in London at about noon on Easter Sunday, then jumped from a train at the airport to London Paddington (Pictured) the main train station in London. From there I got on a train towards Bristol and got off the train in Bath. Bath is a very pretty city and got to see a very little bit of it as I rode the bus out of town towards Melksham. Got off the bus at a stop one block away from my new apartment(flat). The street looks just like the streets from Harry Potter and most of the houses on the island are twin houses. Dropped off my suitcases, which sucked to carry around all day, and jumped in my Volkswagen Sharan (pretty much a minivan). Driving on the wrong side of the road was a little tricky at first but not to bad. Everyone drives like its a rally race and the roads resemble one too, no shoulders, hillsides right next to the sideline, and speed. I like roundabouts and not having stop signs. Drove to a pub in Devizes, the closest town to the west, and had Easter dinner. A steak dinner with chips and vegetables, not much flavour but the veggies were delicious. After dinner a quick drive past Stonehenge just because it was so close. It comes out of nowhere, its just a bunch of rocks piled up in the middle of a field. I was almost falling asleep so back to the flat to sleep. Monday was a bank holiday here so no one was working, but I stopped by the office to check out the place while no one was around. The office is nice, production room is clean, and warehouse is full. Other than that, it is where I am going to spend a lot of my future. From there it was off to the golf course just up the road to the north of Melksham. Whitley golf course, was a pretty nice course, we rented clubs for 2 pounds and played nine holes for 8 pounds. I shot a 44 on a par 33. I am happy with 11 over on a new continent. The greens were cut longer, like out fairways, and their fairways are cut longer like our first cut. It was windy but the sun would peak out once in a while, anything is better than rain. Dinner was fish and chips from a restaurant on the south side of Melksham and was delicious. Tuesday was work. I met everyone and started to learn about the day to day things that happen around the office. So far it has been a awesome time and I must of brought good weather along with me because it hasn't rained yet. I hope everyone reading this is well and will continue to read future posts.

Cheers!

6 comments:

  1. I'm jealous of your adventures. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I hope you're having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Reid,
    Glad to hear you made it their safe. Nice blog you got going here. Grandma is getting a little stronger. Take care of yourself and don't forget about us over hear in the U.S. Love ya, Your Favorite Aunt Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blog - more please. Your very most favorite aunt Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your travels continue safely! Missed ya this weekend! Already trying to plan a trip over. Talk to you soon, brother!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what they're talking about. We all know I'm your favorite aunt.
    I'm sorry you didn't make it home for grandma's funeral. We were all thinking of you!
    Sounds like you've seen a lot of country already.
    Can't wait to see you!
    Aunt Bonnie

    ReplyDelete